Sunday, June 8, 2008

Brownsville - The Southern-Most Point in the U.S.

6-02-08
Hello to everyone
Nothing too crazy to report here, same old same old. We had a pretty normal week. Elder Gish is from St. George, Utah, and he and I have a lot in common. He really likes to play the guitar and do music stuff, so we talk about that kind of stuff a lot. I have some pictures and video of the some stuff around here that I'll try and send to you soon. Brownsville is way different than Laredo, in our area the houses are pretty nice, and it's super super humid here. Supposedly Brownsville is the southern-most point in the continental U.S. We have this one lady that we are teaching that has taken lessons from missionaries before in the '80s, the '90s, and now, so we always joke that maybe this will be the decade! Things are going pretty great down here and I'm really excited to be here in Brownsville!
6-09-08
This past week was crazy. On Tuesday, we went up to talk to this one guy outside his house, and the conversation was all normal for like 5 min, and then he started telling us how he talks to god in his dreams and the reason it snowed in Brownsville a few years ago was because the moon didn't make it all the way to Chicago and other random junk. It was pretty funny because the conversation was totally normal and then he just randomly started talking about that like it was also totally normal. Then on Wednesday I was on splits with another Elder, and as we were riding our bikes I heard him yell up to me to stop, so I stopped and looked back just in time to see his bike pedal fall off. We had to call a member to come give us a ride, and we were able to fix it. Thursday we had Zone Conference for most of the day, and afterwards we went to eat at a members house. I guess I look pretty Mexican, because when my companion (who is white but speaks really good Spanish) doesn't understand a question or something, people will always look towards me and be like "he doesn't understand me" or something, and then repeat the question as if I'm a native speaker. Or, we'll be talking to someone and he'll be speaking, and they'll look at me and respond. I guess they just assume he doesn't speak Spanish at all and that I'm perfectly fluent or something! Then on Friday we went up to talk to this guy who was raking his lawn, and we asked him if we could help out and right as he said he was fine, his rake fell apart in his hand. We had to try really hard not to laugh. As you may know, we're in a pretty "tropical" area of the USA because we're right by the Gulf of Mexico and it's super humid all the time. Hurricane season just started and it's starting to rain pretty frequently. It will rain super hard for like 30 min and then the sun will come out for 2 hours and it will rain again. On Saturday we were caught out in this big rain storm and we got soaked, but then the sun came out and we dried off super quickly. Sunday was way good, our District had 4 baptisms. Each of the 2 other companionships had 2! Write soon everyone.
Ryan