Monday, April 28, 2008

The Miracle Family Gets Baptized

Hello everyone
On Wednesday we were able to teach our miracle family. We brought along a recently returned missionary , who just got back from Russia about a month ago. He is really awesome and right as we were leaving, some guy called him from Russia and he had this whole conversation in Russian. I am so grateful to be learning Spanish! On Thursday I was on exchanges and I ended up having to go to the hospital to keep an elder company. He had come down with pnuemonia and so we all took turns looking after him. I feel really bad for him because he sounded like he was really bored and couldn't really do anything other than just lay there. Friday was interesting. In the morning we saw a mouse run through our living room, so we spent about 45 min chasing it around and turning over furniture to try and catch it. Elder Pike ended up smacking it with a bottle of bleach and killed it. This is the second mouse that we have seen since we moved into our new apartment. Then on Saturday we had a lesson with this lady and Elder Caywood invited her to say the closing prayer, but he forgot to tell her to say it out loud, so we sat there for like 30 seconds before we realized that she was saying it in her mind (her lips were moving) so I signaled to Elder Caywood to say something, but he didn't want to and neither did I. So we sat there in awkward silence for more than 5 minutes until she stopped moving her lips. It was pretty awkward and funny. Sunday was by far the best day ever! We had the baptism for a family of four we called the "miracle" family planned, but they didn't show up for church, so we called them and they said an emergency had come up and they would be late. Five minutes before church ended they showed up, just in time for the baptism. Elder Caywood baptized the parents and I baptized the two sons. When the father came up out of the water, he gave us all a thumbs up! It was an amazing experience to be able to see a whole family get baptized together. Remember, this is the family we found when we locked our bikes on a street sign and went around to a few names that we had, but nobody was around. We had about 20 minutes before our next appointment so we decided to go back to our bikes and figure something out. When we got back, I noticed an apartment complex that I hadn't seen before, so I said, "Hey let's go check it out since we have time." My companion said that he had always wanted to try there because he never had before. So we went to the second level where we saw two open doors, and the second door we saw the husband and he said, "Hey you guys are the mormons, right?" and we said yes. He said, "Hey my sister is a member (in another part of Texas) and she told me to go to church a few months ago, but I didn't know where it was. I knew you guys would come by eventually, so I've been waiting here for you!" At that point we pretty much fell off the balcony. We set up a return appointment, and 5 weeks later now they are baptized. They were awesome. They didn't have any problems with anything and always asked us a lot of questions. It has been an awesome experience teaching them! Well, I have to go, but I'll try and send some pictures ASAP!
Love Ryan