Monday, July 6, 2009

Hurricanes and Tickets

Dear Friends & Family:
Happy July 4th!
This week was very interesting! We had our interviews with Mission President Miller on Thursday. Mom, he told me that BYU will send you a form for the ecclesiastical endorsement and that when you get it you should send it to me and I’ll have him sign it.
Apparently we are in super hurricane weather right now. There are 12 predicted storms this year, and a bunch of the long-time residents are saying that whenever there is a drought like we’ve been having and whenever there is record heat like we’ve been having, we get a hurricane. Needless to say, we’re all bracing ourselves!
The other day we were in Taft and this police officer was following us for quite a while and then pulled us over. He then gave me a ticket for not stopping all the way! I have to go to court and everything. How many missionaries can say they went to court on their missions! A member of the Branch Presidency is a sheriff and he gave me some advice and said he knows the guy who gave me the citation. Pray for me!
We also had a great experience the other day. We have been working with a less-active member and her boyfriend for a little while and we finally were able to get her to meet with the Branch President! It was great and they are going to start coming to church and hopefully get married next month. He said that he wants to be baptized, too. Everything is going great with them.
After church yesterday there was a huge column of smoke and so we decided to drive by it. Apparently some fireworks had caught some brush on fire and when we drove by, there was a full-out blaze. A bunch of houses were burned, but I don’t think anybody got hurt. The fire came really close to some members’ homes, but they were all okay. Other than that, our Fourth of July was pretty uneventful. Sounds like everyone had a fun time, and tell everybody that I say hi.

Elder Carreon